Healthcare Volunteers: An Essential Part of Community Health and Wellness
KSB Hospital’s mission is to restore, maintain, and enhance health by providing superior care now and in the future. A vital part of that exceptional care includes the meaningful contribution of volunteers.
Volunteers have played a significant role in the hospital since its inception, impacting the health and welfare of people’s lives across the decades. These dedicated individuals have helped make the Dixon community and surrounding areas a healthier, more caring place for patients and their families. Their impact, past and present, is priceless.
Volunteering in Healthcare Comes with Benefits
The benefits of volunteering at any age are numerous, for the welfare of the people they serve and for the volunteer themselves.
Research shows that volunteering offers significant benefits:
- Feeling the satisfaction of knowing you are helping others, building a stronger community, and making a positive impact on others
- Improves long-term physical and mental health (combats stress, lowers depression rates, reduces disease risk, lowers anxiety, reduces dementia risk, increases longevity)
- Boosts self-confidence and sense of wellbeing
- Provides social connection, including nurturing new and existing relationships
- Renews a sense of purpose and direction
- Provides a chance to build valuable new skills or keep acquired skills sharp
- Offers a way to stay active
- Increases feelings of happiness and fulfillment
- Helps to build job skills, boost resumes and college applications by reinforcing skills like teamwork, communication, problem-solving and
- Gives a chance to explore careers in healthcare and get experience in the environment
KSB is Seeking Volunteers to Make a Difference in the Lives of Others
Unfortunately, volunteer efforts had to be halted with the onset of COVID-19. In the wake of the pandemic and its aftermath, KSB is working to rebuild its volunteer program.
“We need your help to spread the word,” says KSB Community Wellness and Volunteer Coordinator Aaron Fox. “We are looking for volunteers to help further our mission and serve patients, their families, and our community. If you or someone you know has an interest, please get in touch with me to discuss how you may contribute.”
Currently, volunteer opportunities include greeting and valet services, helping with Dietary Services, providing organizational tasks with Home Health Care and the OB Department, patient transport with Rehabilitation Services, and helping with Community Wellness activities. Volunteer opportunities will be expanding, offering new opportunities to serve in time.
Volunteers are invited to help occasionally or regularly, depending on their interests and availability. Once a volunteer has proceeded through the screening and onboarding process, including finding the best-fit area of interest, their service at KSB can begin. The initial application can be found online at www.ksbhospital.com/volunteers.
Please contact Aaron Fox at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 815.285.5836 for more information.